At about 33 weeks or so my blood pressure began to go up so much so that I was admitted into the hospital for observation. There was talk of preeclampsia and all of the issues that come with that which as very scary, my only comfort was that though my body was doing weird things the baby was doing fine. Strong Heartbeat. Excellent movement. Everyone said the baby was looking great. So after my 24 hours I was sent home with a prescription for blood pressure medication and instruction to follow up at the clinic the following week.
The following week I dutifully reported to the clinic and my blood pressure still was not behaving, as a result I was placed on bed rest. I was dreading the thought of bed rest - I mean, to be confined to a bed or chair for 6 weeks. I just knew I would go stir crazy! A week later hubby and I returned to the clinic for another follow up appointment which consisted of MANY blood pressure tests. As we waited and I struggled to keep calm and will my blood pressure to stabilize the Dr. came in and said she was sending us to the hospital for observation again and if my blood pressure didn't come down they may have to induce.
The amazing thing about this was the intense sense of calm that came over me. I knew this was it, my pressure wasn't coming down and there was a very real possibility that my baby would be born in the next 24 hours.
When we arrived at the hospital I was sent to triage and waited for hours while attached to machines. Ultimately the midwife arrived and informed Jerome and I that in an effort to keep me safe they would be inducing. Our birth plan pretty much went out the widow but despite the changes to our expectations there were and are some wonderful memories created leading up to delivery. I was so shocked at how fast it went, not the inducing, that took 12 hours for the medicine to take affect then another 6 hours for me to become fully dilated but when the the time came we had thirty minutes of pushing and our boy was here.
So no, not according to plan but a most welcome and adorable surprise.
5lbs 1oz. ~ 17 3/4"
No comments:
Post a Comment